2017 - Schedule of Events
Continuing Education Courses
(FLIERS FOR ALL COURSES WILL BE EMAILED ONLY
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE COURSE)
New York State CE Course Requirements
As described by New York State’s licensing and regulatory authority, Office of the Professions of the NYS Education Department, courses should be sponsored through an approved provider, including DHASNY, and be on approved subject matter – see below for topics and click here for information and providers.
Practicing hygienists in New York State are required to take 24 credit hours every three years (license renewal is every three years). At least 14 of those hours must be live programs - those in which you are able to interact with the instructor.
RDHs also must take:
- Once, a two-hour course on identifying and reporting of child abuse and maltreatment to apply initially for licensure or for a limited permit (Education Law, Section 6507(3)(a)). Since September 1, 1990, programs registered by New York State that lead to such licensure or certification have been required to include child abuse training. Students graduating from such programs on or after this date are not required to take additional training and are not required to receive a certification form and submit documentation. For a list of providers, go to the Office of the Professions web site here
- Every four years, a course in infection control every four years (Education Law, Section 6505-b).You must attest to having completed this on your first licensure / registration application and at every subsequent registration. For a list of providers, go to the Office of the Professions web site here
Appropriate Course Subjects:
The subject matter must contribute to dental hygiene professional practice as defined in Education Law Section 6601. Such subjects include:
- basic and clinical dental sciences
- behavioral science
- pharmacology of new and developing drugs
- drug interactions
- public health issues
- child abuse reporting
- infection control
- sterile procedures
- legal or regulatory issues
- patient counseling
- risk management
- other topics that contribute to the practice of your profession; and
- other matters of health care, law, and ethics that contribute to the public's health and welfare
Recordkeeping:When you complete a continuing education program, you’ll be provided with a certificate by an approved provider which you should keep in your records in the event you are asked to produce these in the future. You’ll need to attest to fulfilling required coursework on your first licensure and on renewals.
Michelle Paeprer introducing our WDHA 2017
student award winner Sara Vazquez
VP Program Pam Fryer, RDH and speaker Tom Viola R. Ph., CCP
WDHA member Carol McKenna,RDH (HealthPro Dental Staffing)
and VP Program Pam Fryer, RDH
Speaker Tom Viola R. Ph., CCP sharing his wisdom
HIV ORAL HEALTH PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM
New York, New Jersey and the Caribbean
The New York State Department of Health-AIDS Institute Oral Health Resource Center in collaboration with the Northeast Caribbean AETC offers a unique chance to participate in an HIV Oral Health Preceptorship Program.
HIV Oral Health Preceptorships are available for dentists, dental hygienists and primary care clinicians in New York, New Jersey and the Caribbean. These programs are individually tailored to meet the needs, interests and experience-level of the individual provider. Typical sessions are from one to five days and are available for the person with no or very little HIV experience, to those looking for a more detailed clinical experience in an HIV Primary Care Center, or discovering oral pathology. Preceptorship sites are in multiple locations in both states and the actual location will depend on the level of the preceptorship program selected for the applicant following assessment with our Program Director. Tuition for the program is fully covered by a grant from Health Resource and Service Administration (HRSA) and nationally accredited continuing education credits are available from the NYS Dental Foundation and the Dental Hygiene Association of the State of NY.
For further information or to register, contact Howard Lavigne, Program Consultant, at 315-247-2998 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Howard Lavigne, Consultant
Oral Health Resource Center
Infection Control - Online with partner ProCeo, NYS mandated approved course, 4 credits, $49.00, if registered with HealthPro $39.00, discount code provided by calling our office. Printable Certificate provided upon completion.
Register by calling office 914-245-3200
or email email@example.com
LIKE US ON